Thursday, July 8, 2010

Around Her, All Darkness and Chaos

She had a darkness I couldn’t explain. The light seemed to be consumed by her skin as she drifted down the street. Her hair was so thin and wispy, it looked like a veil trailing behind her. She always had a sort of half drunken stupor that made people constantly underestimate her.

I was working for the city. I was that guy, who adjusted traffic lights. I was just getting done with timing a light when I saw her. She seemed to walk in slow motion yet she kept up with pack. It seemed as though she was staring at me. She had a look you could feel. You know? It almost felt hot on this November day. But being a recently divorced man, I wasn’t going to stop looking as long as she was looking.

It seemed to take a year for her to finally be close to me. As she walked up, I couldn’t see around her, above her, it was darkness and chaos. She smiled at me in the same way little girls do to get you to buy them a doll. This woman wanted to know my name. With every word she spoke my whole system seized up more.

I think I felt drunk. I mean my legs were failing. My head was spinning. My sight was blurry and it didn’t help that the only thing I could focus on were here amber eyes. It seemed as though every other glorious part of her was in black and white. She asked me again and finally told her.

There was a span of time, a hour...a second, before she repeated my name back to me. Then she stared into my eyes. My feet felt like they melted into the ground, my groin got hot, and my hair felt prickly. I wanted to ask her what she wanted. I wanted to be able see something other than her. Or did I?

She finally smiled and grabbed my hand. Suddenly the whole world was dark...

© 2006 Antony Plocido

No comments:

Post a Comment