Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Side of the Road

I saw a man and

A man saw me.

Picked me up from

The side of the road.

Where you headed---he said to me.

Said I’m looking for a path

Paved in gold.

“He said listen to this.

It doesn’t really exist.”

But I’m holding the thought.

That this is growing old.

What do you mean?

I asked as we drove east toward the sun.

What do you mean?

I wanted the answer to this one.

He said, “Your insistence,

On the path of least resistance,

Has many instances

Of where it failed.

But if you follow me

You’ll only see

The big picture,

Blocked, by my tail.”

And after a long pause I said.

Thank you for the ride,

Right here is fine.”

You can let me go, here

On the side of the road.

I saw a girl and

A girl saw me.

Saw me lying there

On the side of the road.

She was beautiful.

Every part of her shined.

She was beautiful.

She held out her hand

And I was a little scared of it, man.

I didn’t believe

I didn’t believe it was really there.

As I got to my feet

She started talking to me

She said what you doin’ here

On the side of the road.

I said her

You know I’m really not sure.

I think I’m searching

For my goal.

She cocked her head to the side

And I know she tried

For a moment,

Just to understand.

But I can’t explain it to you

I just enjoy the view

Standing here

On the side of road.

I watch the cars drive by.

I watch the airplanes fly.

I watch the ants make a hole.

On the side of the road.

Everybody’s always moving.

But don’t really know what they’re doing,

The never want to just stroll.

On the side of the road.

It’s the only kind of peace

That I’m every going to need.

You all should go.

To the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment