Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pretense of Hate

“...wish you could understand! You’re always so caught up in your Jack Daniels, that you forget this man in your life,” I said at the risk of being ignored. She sways like the wind trying hard to look me in the eyes. She scrunches up here face in ways that demonstrates thoughts are difficult to gather.

She wasn’t always this way. We used to just pretend we hated each other. Secretly kissing in doorways as we made our way to the bars. She was a delicious beauty that would tell me that she loved me. In fact she told me in many ways, many languages.

Now she stands there, barely on her feet. Her hair mangled and strap of her dress is hugging her arm. Why do I pity this woman? Why do I care? She has darkness written all over her and yet I still love her.

Suddenly the bottle flies past my head and crashes into the wall. Literally, it’s stuck there. I thought to myself, cheap, f-ing apartments. She straightens and fixes her strap. She walks over to me and wraps her arm around my neck.

She whispers, “I am a superhero. I saved your life and I would do it again. I drink to control my power. I drink to sedate the demons that give me strength.” Suddenly, she falls.

“You’re demons are your strength you ignorant woman,” I say as I step over her to grab my coat. “Someday you’ll wake up and realize that. Then the next day, you wont wake up.”

I put on my hat and coat slowly. I bend down and kiss her on the forehead. Then I walked out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment