Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bound to Rain

I don't know what happened. Solitude faded to chaos and now I stand her dissolving in my own storm. Melting, like wax in a cauldron. Frankly, I’m annoyed by it all. I shouldn't be surprised though. You can't spend your whole life working yourself into an emotional desert. I mean, its bound to rain. Right?

I wondered, many times, how things would turn out. I imagined so many different outcomes, yet nothing I could think of could have compared. Such a complex web, tangled in a storm of feelings. I got tired of waiting for the rainbows to shine. Tired of waiting for the sun to stop burning. So I walked on.

I got as far as the next village. The sun had just set, so I could see but every thing looked as though it was the same color. A monochromatic painting of the world that was trying to eat me. UGH! I have to escape these battering thoughts. But I feel drawn, absorbed and diluted. Part of everything and yet wanting to get away from it all. Swirling with the clouds like a Van Gogh sky, confused, enticed by a foolish sense of adventure.

But if that is true, and adventure is what I truly sought, then why has it brought me here. Nothing ever happens in this town. This is the one place, in three days ride, that has never had to hang anyone. Yet here I stand, sword in hand, thinking I will pounce on a dragon. Well, one thing I have learned, is to not turn away from destiny. I felt there was something there waiting for me. I could hear it resounding in my head. It was almost like a call, a strange feeling that pulled me towards it and I couldn't help it. As I entered the town, the eyes over me felt penetrating, filled with questions... more than I could answer.

I heard varying voices asking me to sheath my sword. The also screamed, "What is your quarrel, sir?" And, "I'm sure there is a more civil way to go about this!" I ignored them all. I simply walked slowly through town. My mind was on high alert for my unknown adversary. The sun succumbing to cloud cover, which was making it easier to think. It seemed inevitable, unavoidable, I couldn't escape, there was no reason to run away. My eyes reflected the coldness of an iceberg...the fire of a volcano. I was ready. Ready for whatever came my way.

As I reached the far end of the village, my thoughts started a conversation. What will this dance be like? Will it be the gentle waltz of a duel with a suitable opponent? Will it be the chaotic jig that a dragon battle can bring? Neither option is what I wanted to do today. Then, before me, it was there. The opponent, I sought. I whispered a quick prayer and then walked forward.

Suddenly everything around me disappeared, vanished... my enemy was all I could see.

No comments:

Post a Comment