Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Matt - A Play in Two Acts

(Scene opens on an adolescent’s bedroom.

Center stage is a twin size bed. The foot of

the bed faces the audience. Stage right of

the bed is a window. Stage left is the door

to the room. Up stage from the door is a

stereo with some speakers. MATT sits on

the bed listening to music softly. The stereo

should be real so the actor has control of it.)

MATT

(to audience, almost angry)

“You need to get a job!” That’s all I hear. I’m sure that sounds familiar to a lot of people. Then, of course, I tell her for the tenth time that finding a job is difficult because of the play. Then she says don’t do the play and yada, yada, yada, it goes on.

(pause)

You see my mom isn’t the most reasonable or unreasonable person in the world. She’s just real

(pauses and thinks)

opinionated. But hey, let’s not dwell on that because tonight, I have a date. Natalie. Natalie is gorgeous. Natalie is the finish line in the bad race of dating. Natalie is also my best friend’s best friend. So the pressure’s on. Treat her right or have a mound of shit to deal with later. But that’s ok because we are going to dinner and play. That’s right a play. You see without the help of my parents, I have become cultured.

(The doorbell rings. MATT gives a big

smile.)

There she is now.

(MATT walks toward his bedroom door and

and pause with his hand on the door handle.

Lights fade on MATT’s bedroom and a

single light comes up, stage right, on

NATALIE. She speaks to the audience.

Remove MATT’s bedroom and set up a

Host’s podium center stage and a small

table and chairs stage left. )

NATALIE

So I’m going out with Matt. He’s the biggest outcast in our school. I don’t really know why I am doing it. I guess it’s to show my friends that I’m not as petty as they are.

(As if coming to a revelation)

Yeah, I am sick of trying to date the people in my clique. They’re stupid, boring, and always trying to cop a feel. Whereas Matt is a nice guy. He’s just so…weird.

(Lights go down and then come back up

with NATALIE standing at the host’s

podium. She is looking at her watch.

MATT comes running in and stops next

to NATALIE.)

NATALIE

(annoyed)

You’re late.

MATT

(smiles sheepishly)

Sorry. How was your day?

NATALIE

Fine. What was the hold-up?

MATT

Traffic was a bitch.

NATALIE

Oh.

(pauses and smiles)

Didn’t you walk here?

MATT

Yeah

(MATT quickly turns to the WAITER at

the podium. NATALIE looks perplexed.)

Hello.

WAITER

Good Evening Sir. How many.

MATT/ NATALIE

(speak simultaneously)

Two/Thirty

MATT

(pauses)

Apparently thirty-two

(smiles)

WAITER

(with a grimace look)

Smoking or non?

(MATT looks back at NATALIE. They both

survey the restaurant)

MATT

What exactly separates the two?

WAITER

(annoyed)

Sir, smoking or non?

MATT

(to NATALIE)

Do you smoke?

(she nods)

Cancer section, please.

NATALIE

(bursts out)

Oh thank God, I thought I would have to go the non-smoking route.

(MATT and NATALIE follow the WAITER

to the table and sit down.

MATT

(smiles)

A pack day keeps the doctor away.

NATALIE

(smiles)

Yeah right!

(WAITER sets down two menus. MATT and NATALIE both pick them up and start

reading. WAITER returns with a huge

ashtray. WAITER exits and then returns

with a big box of camping “strike

anywhere” matches. Then he exits.)

MATT

It’s seems our waiter isn’t much for jokes. Of course that just fuels this fire.

( NATALIE smiles. WAITER returns with

pad in hand.)

WAITER

May I take your order?

MATT

(smiles)

Well, that depends sir. Will you give it back?

(NATALIE holds back a giggle)

NATALIE

Yes, I think I will have a salad with light ranch dressing.

WAITER


Would you care for a beverage?

NATALIE

Will care for me in return?

MATT

(jumps in)

Nice!

(WAITER is visibly annoyed but stands

there waiting for NATALIE’s answer)

NATALIE

I will have a glass of milk, please.

WAITER

And for you sir?

MATT

Do you serve kids?

WAITER


(confused)

I’m sorry, what?

MATT

Ribs, do you have ribs?

WAITER

(visibly angry)

Yes, sir, we serve ribs.

MATT

Fantastic. I’ll have a burger, well done. And to drink, I will have a diet soda. Thank you so much.

(WAITER grabs both menus and exits stage

left. The lights go down on MATT leaning over to talk to NATALIE. MATT moves to

down stage center. NATALIE exits. Take

off the restaurant scene. Set-up NATALIE’s

room center stage. Like MATT’s room it is

a bed, a dresser. JERID should be lying on the bed. MATT speaks to the

audience with just a spotlight on him.

MATT

The date was awesome. No other word. We laughed. We got kicked out of the restaurant. I didn’t even need to pay. I gave the waiter such a hard time, I left a tip on my way out. So now the wondering begins. How will she behave around me at school on Monday? Her friends all think I was sent to haunt them or something.

(thinks for a second)

Ah, I’m not worried. I mean, what’s the worse that could happen?

(MATT exits stage right. NATALIE enters

the spotlight from stage left. She speaks to

the audience as well.)

Oh yeah, he’s strange. Strange sure, but funny. I definitely like him. So this means a real shit storm at school on Monday. But I am out to prove a point. And anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Right?

(Spotlight fades on NATALIE. Lights come

up on NATALIE’s room center stage.

JERID is lying on the bed and NATALIE

is sitting on the floor next to the bed.)

JERID

So it’s going well, huh?

NATALIE

Yeah. I haven’t had so much fun.

JERID

Really? So that means that Jerid scores some points? Hmm?

NATALIE

(smiles and thinks)

Yeah. You were right. It’s weird how you can not notice people who are in front you everyday.

JERID

Well, those other fools you hang out with have firm hold on that blindfold as well. Also, a wise man once said, I don’t know who first discovered that water was wet, but it probably wasn’t the fishes.

NATALIE

Thank you Captain Philosophy. My friends have learned the meaning of alienation, though.

JERID


True, but those aliens deserve it.

NATALIE

I mean me, dummy.

JERID

Don’t worry about it. I would take a thousand aliens coming down on me for a chance at love. Plus, he digs you.

NATALIE

(turns and grabs JERID’s shirt)

What did he say?

JERID

Who?

(smiles)

NATALIE

This is no time for games, funnyman. What did he say?

JERID

You aren’t getting me into a bros vs. ho’s situation. You find out how feels like I’m not a third wheel in all of this.

NATALIE

All right fine, but I’ll remember that.

JERID

Oh worry-not princess. You will find out how he feels soon enough.

(Natalie’s mom calls from off-stage that MATT is her. NATALIE calls back.)

NATALIE

Send him down, Mom!

(turns to JERID)

What did you do?

JERID

Let’s just say, I need to see if there is a spark.

NATALIE


I just told you there was.

JERID

From him, silly. From him.

NATALIE

Oh.

(She turns and sits back down on the floor.

MATT enters stage left.)

JERID

Hey Matt, what’s happening?

MATT

(apprehensive)


I was going to ask you the same thing.

(acknowledging NATALIE)

I’m sorry to just drop by, Natalie. He said I had to come over.

JERID


Ooh, a spark. He’s right. I did. And now that I have done that I am out.

(JERID stands and walks past NATALIE

stops just past MATT.)

NATALIE

You’re out? Jerid.

(JERID nudges MATT in the back and then exits.)

JERID

(from offstage)

Bye Natalie, love you. Love you too, Matt.

MATT

(smiles at NATALIE)

Well, if I wasn’t uncomfortable before, that just did it.

(NATALIE walks over to MATT and grabs his hand and pulls him to the floor next to

her bed.)

NATALIE

(after a bit of a silence)

I think I know why he told you to come over.

MATT

Yeah?

(NATALIE grabs the back of MATT’s neck

and kisses him. As they are kissing you hear

Natalie’s mom call from offstage that the phone is for him. They break their kiss and MATT sighs. MATT stands and exits stage left. The lights go down. A spot comes up

down stage center and MATT walks into it.)

MATT

I went upstairs and the phone call was my mom. I was expecting her to bitch about something I forgot to do. But that wasn’t the case at all. She called because something had happened. Something terrible. My father he just died of a heart attack. He died almost instantly.

(pause. holding in his sadness)

I didn’t think heart attacks did that anymore.

(pause)

I didn’t live with my father. Which made it worse because I didn’t get to say goodbye. Hell, I didn’t even get the phone call. I went back downstairs and got as far as Natalie’s arms and…

(MATT moves back around through her

bedroom door and the lights come up)

NATALIE

Was there a problem?

MATT

Yeah, and for once, it wasn’t me.

NATALIE

What was the problem?

(MATT does speak. He looks off)

Matt, what is it? Please talk to me.

MATT

My dad.

NATALIE

What’s the matter with your dad?

MATT

Nothing anymore.

NATALIE

I don’t understand.

MATT


(softly)

He died.

NATALIE

What? How?

MATT


Heart attack.

NATALIE

Oh Matt.

MATT

The weird thing is that I’m more sorry that he died than I am that he’s dead. I had so many things I was going to tell him. So many issues to clear. Now, he gets to go out thinking he was right. That son-of-a-bitch.

(NATALIE just wraps her arms around

MATT.)

I still loved him though. I guess I just want to say goodbye.

(NATALIE just continues to hold MATT

and the lights fade. MATT goes to the

spot waiting for him down stage center.

Bring out MATT’s bedroom center stage.)

Natalie and I started going out before my father died, but it took that incident to pull us closer. We became so close that it was almost like we were married. She would even sleep over sometimes. I loved her. What’s even better, she loved me.

(Lights fade out. Lights come up on

MATT lying in his bed and JERID sleeping

on the floor. MATT speaks to the

audience.)

That there

(he points to JERID)

is my best friend Jerid. He’s Natalie’s best friend too. We are one big happy family. So-to-speak. He slept over last night because were at a party and he got wasted. I am smiley because I don’t drink. It’s about 6 hours after we got home from that party. I think it’s time to wake him up.

(to JERID)

Hey man, wake up.

(JERID starts to wake up and then goes

back to sleep)

Come on Jerid, wake up.

(JERID starts to get up again, and then lays

back down.)

Come on. Get up.

JERID


Ok. Ok. Just stop yelling.

MATT

I wasn’t yelling. Now I’m yelling!

(JERID covers his ears and closes his eyes

he is in obvious pain.)

JERID

Ah. Ok, ok. Stop.

MATT

How’s that gettin’ drunk working out for you?

JERID

Right now? Not very well. Is Natalie here?

MATT

No, I took her home last night because she got drunk too.

(pauses)

That girl. I even love her when she’s a raging drunk.

JERID

Oh well, then you guys must be made for each other because she bothers the shit out of me when she’s drunk.

(JERID gets a look on his face like he’s

going to throw up)

I think I need to use the bathroom.

(JERID runs offstage and you can hear him

throwing up.

MATT

Hey Jerid.

JERID

(offstage)

What?

MATT

You know what I’m plannin’ on doing?

(JERID walks back in to MATT’s room

wiping off his mouth with a wash cloth)

JERID

No what?

MATT


I’m going to ask Natalie to marry me?

(JERID starts to laugh but the pain of the hangover takes hold and he stops and grabs

his forehead.)

Not right now. I work in fast food for crying out loud. But I am going to offer her a ring right now. I want to seal that deal before we go to college.

JERID

As both of you guy’s friend, I am suppose to say, no. Not right now. This is crazy, we’re still in high school. And all of that. But I know you both better than I know myself and I can’t really say that I can see either of you with anyone else.

( Lights dim on the bedroom. MATT steps

out to down stage center to the spot. Matt’s

room is removed from the stage and

Natalie’s is brought out stage left but not

lit. NATALIE is sleeping in her bed.)

MATT

I went to Natalie’s to ask her the question. I knew what her answer would be. I was still scared of how old we were. I mean if either if our parents were here, they’d say I was crazy. Good news is, they aren’t. So here goes nothing. Scratch that. Here goes everything.

(MATT moves to her door and knocks

lightly and then goes in. Lights come up

as he enters. NATALIE is still sleeping.

MATT bends over her and kisses her on

her lips and she opens her eyes.

MATT

Morning Baby.

NATALIE

(still groggy, she stretches)

Mmm, good morning. Did my mother let you in?

MATT

No, I slept here.

NATALIE

Did you?

MATT

No.

(pause)

I just got here and yes your mother let me in. You are very lucky she was sleeping when I brought you home last night. You were very, VERY drunk.

NATALIE

I can only imagine.

(pause)

Well thanks for covering for me. What brings you here so early?

MATT

Well, I have something I want to talk to you about. Well, something I want to ask you.

NATALIE

Really? Did I do something bad last night?

MATT

No, it’s nothing like that. I came because I wanted to ask you if…well, I wanted to know if…God, how do I put this?

NATALIE

(a little worried)

Just say it, Matt.

MATT

Ok, I’ll just say it.

(MATT grabs her hand)

Will you marry me?

(NATALIE snatches her hand away)

NATALIE

(not angry, but anxious)

What did you say?

MATT


I said will you marry-

NATALIE

(interrupting)

I know what you said, but why’d you say it?

MATT

Probably because I want to marry you.

(MATT stands and starts to put the ring back

into his pocket. NATALIE grabs his hand

and pulls it back toward her.)

NATALIE

Where are you going with that?

MATT

I just thought that-

NATALIE

What are you drunk? Of course I’ll marry you.

MATT

What?

(shocked)

Wait, you just said yes!

(MATT starts to put the ring on the wrong

finger and NATALIE corrects him.

NATALIE looks at it for a second and then

jumps up and hugs MATT.

NATALIE

Matt, it’s beautiful.

(While they embrace, MATT looks at his watch.)

MATT

Oh shit.

NATALIE

What is it?

MATT

(breaking the embrace)

I’m really late.

(NATALIE looks disappointed)

Tell you what. I will come back over here, right after it gets done.

NATALIE

(disappointed)

O.K.

( MATT stands there for a second as if he

doesn’t know what to do)

MATT

I really have to go. So I will see you later.

( MATT starts to run off stage left and then

he quickly goes back to NATALIE and

kisses her and then runs offstage left.

Lights fade. NATALIE comes out to down

stage right into a spotlight. She speaks to

the audience. )

NATALIE

(shocked)

He asked me to marry him. Do you believe it?

(pauses and thinks)

NATALIE (cont.)

What is he retarded? I mean I can’t do this. Jesus, am I retarded? I’m not ready to think about marriage.

(She holds the her hand out and stares at the

ring.)

But it is a beautiful ring and I do love him. Yeah, I can do this.

(NATALIE stares off right. The spotlight

on her fades out. MATT appears down stage left with a spotlight on him. He speaks to the audience. Set up a park scene center stage. There should be a bench and couple of trees. A strong light from one side represent the sun.)

MATT

So there you have it. She said yes. We went through the rest of the school year and didn’t tell anyone, but Jerid, that we were engaged. That’s a friggin hard secret to keep, too. The three of us enrolled at the same college. Jerid and I were roommates and Natalie lived in the same dorm, one floor down. We were one big happy family. College was great until about four months in. It was a lovely Wednesday afternoon, so Natalie and I decided to take a walk.

(Lights fade. Lights come up on the park

scene. NATALIE and MATT are walking in arm and arm, from stage right toward stage

left. )

NATALIE

It’s such a beautiful day. I wish I didn’t have this incredible headache.

MATT

It’s finals week. Everyone’s got headaches.

NATALIE

That’s true, but I have had this one for a week. Sometimes, I wake up and I can’t even stand, because the headache is so painful. And, I have been fainting a lot lately.

MATT

What? Have you gone to the doctor?

NATALIE

No, not yet. I have been studying my ass off. I don’t really have time for this but I feel like I have been ignoring you.

MATT

(smiles)

Well, you need to go to the doctor and soon. Here let’s sit down for a minute.

(They sit down on the bench. NATALIE

lays her head down on MATT’s lap. )

NATALIE

So Matt, when are you going to marry me?

MATT

Well, we should probably wait until one of us graduates from this damn college.

NATALIE

Matthew, I do believe you’re stalling.

(she smiles, sits up, and looks at him)

Do you love me?

MATT

(smiles)

Nope.

NATALIE

(knows he’s kidding)

No? You shit. Fine then, I guess we aren’t getting married then.

MATT

No, I guess not. That will save me from you taking half later. Wow, that’s a load off.

(NATALIE grabs MATT and kisses him.)

Man, I love you.

NATALIE

(stands to leave)

I love you too, but I have to go study. I will see you tonight, though, right?

MATT

I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

(MATT holds her hand for a second and

looks her in the eyes. NATALIE reluctantly pulls her hand back and starts to walk stage left. She takes a couple of steps and stops and grabs her forehead and then collapses.

She is on the ground before MATT even

notices she stopped. MATT jumps up and

runs over to her and kneels down beside

her. )

Natalie! What happened? Did you trip or something?

(MATT rolls her on to her back. Turns back behind him)

Help! Somebody help!

(MATT looks back down at NATALIE.)

Natalie please move a finger or something. Just give me some sign that you can hear me.)

(MATT turns back and yells again)

Somebody please!

(JOGGER runs up through the audience and

and on to the stage. JOGGER is in the most

ludicrous jogging outfit ever. JOGGER

stands just behind MATT and looking over

his shoulder. JOGGER always talks in an

overly loud voice.)

JOGGER

What happened?

MATT

(sadness and worry are setting in)

I don’t know. She just fell.

JOGGER

(looking over NATALIE)

How did she fall?

MATT

(slightly annoyed)

I don’t know. She was walking away and she just collapsed.

(JOGGER nudges MATT out of the way

and bends down so she is only an inch or so

from NATALIE’s face.

JOGGER

Are-you-O-K ?

(MATT lightly pushes the JOGGER away)

MATT

Please, please just run and get help.

( JOGGER stands and straightens her outfit

and then clicks her stop watch and runs off

stage right. MATT grabs NATALIE’s hand. )

Natalie, please. Please open your eyes.

( JOGGER comes running back in. Stops

behind MATT and clicks her stop watch

again. )

JOGGER

The paramedics are on their way. They said don’t move her-

(JOGGER then notices that MATT has

moved her hand. The JOGGER gets

frantic)

You moved her! How could you move her? Didn’t you learn that in first aid. They said one thing, if one suspects a head injury, do NOT move the victim. And what did you go and do?

( JOGGER gets so frantic she has to pull out

her inhaler. MATT just lowers his head to

NATALIE’s chest and starts sobbing. You

can hear sirens off stage start to get closer.

The lights fade to black and there is a

spotlight waiting for MATT downstage

right. Remove the park scene. Set two

chairs and a coffee table to represent a

hospital waiting room, stage left. )

MATT

(very distraught)

I rushed out with the paramedics. They almost didn’t let me ride along. It took for ever to convince them that she was my fiancĂ©’. We got to the hospital and they rushed her into the emergency room and then into surgery. They just left me alone in the waiting room. I had to do something, so I got on the phone and called her mother. But her mother lives on the other side of the country. She wouldn’t get there until the next day. Next, I called Jerid. I needed some support and I needed it now. Jerid was at the hospital in ten minutes. If it wasn’t for Jerid, I–

(pause)

I don’t think I would have made it.

( Spotlight fades on MATT. The lights come

up on the waiting room. JERID and MATT

are both sitting down. )

I am glad you’re here. I don’t know what happened. She just walked away from, to go study, and she collapsed. Right there in the park. She-

(MATT starts to cry.)

She didn’t get up, man. She just wouldn’t get up.

(NATALIE walks in and stands behind

MATT. She is only seen by the audience.

MATT and JERID cannot see her or hear

her. )

NATALIE

(confused)

Matt, why are you crying?

(no response from MATT or JERID)

Matt? I’m here.

(NATALIE waves her hand in front of

MATT’s face. He does not react. )

He can’t see me?

JERID

What was the matter with her?

MATT

Nothing that I know of. She mentioned headaches that she’s been having but she hadn’t gone to the doctor yet.

NATALIE

(surprised)

Hey, I don’t have a headache anymore.

(to MATT)

Matt, I’m fine. Look. I’m right here. Matt, please look at me.

JERID

She’ll be OK. She’s in there having surgery. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

( NATALIE looks down at herself and she

is still wearing the same clothes from the

park.)

NATALIE

(confused)

Having surgery? Matt, what is going on here?

(pause)

Matt?

(louder)

Matt!

( MATT and JERID both pick up a magazine

and start paging through them. DOCTOR

enters stage right and stops between MATT

and JERID. MATT stands.)

MATT

(frantic)

How is she? Is she out of surgery. What happened to her-

(NATALIE stands and listens. DOCTOR

puts a hand on MATT’s shoulder and nudges

him to sit down. MATT sits down and looks

up at the DOCTOR. JERID sets down his

magazine. )

DOCTOR

We did absolutely everything we could.

MATT

No!

( JERID runs his fingers through his hair

and begins to cry. MATT stands and starts

pacing. )

DOCTOR

She died from internal bleeding caused by the impact on her head.

NATALIE

(perplexed)

I’ve what?

DOCTOR

What caused her to collapse, we don’t know yet.

MATT

No! We were going to get married!

(MATT turns and runs offstage left.)

JERID

(stands)

Matt wait! Don’t run out!

(sits back down slowly)

Be careful.

( NATALIE looks at her hands and then

to the sky)

NATALIE

I’m dead.

( NATALIE runs off stage left, after MATT )

Matt!

DOCTOR

Are you Natalie’s brother?

JERID

No. Friend.

DOCTOR

Well, could you answer a few questions for me?

( JERID nods and lights fade on the waiting

room. MATT comes downstage center into

a spotlight. Bring out MATT and JERID’s

room to stage right. It should consist of twin

size bunk beds and a couple of dressers.)

MATT

I ran for hours. Well, it seem like hours. I ran all the way back to the college which was five miles away. I went to her room and her roommate let me in. I told her what happened and she cried. It was all I could take. Then I saw Natalie’s picture on the wall. I went to my knees and I bawled. I cried until there were no tears left in my eyes. I can remember, that I was having a bad day before Natalie and I took our walk. And on the phone she said, “you must think of everyday as a walk in the park.”

(MATT looks toward the sky)

What kind of twisted irony is that!

(pause)

The funeral was held back in our home town. It seemed like our entire senior class was there.

(MATT sits down on the stage)

(reminiscing)

It was a great service.

(coming to)

I stayed with my mother for a week before I went back to school. I thought, I would be better once I got back to school and on with my life. But, that wasn’t the case at all.

(Spotlight on MATT fades. Bring up the

lights on MATT and JERID’s room. JERID

is laying on the bottom bunk and MATT

looks to be staring out a window. )

JERID

Matt, you need to study. You’re grades are slipping.

JERID (cont.)

(notices MATT isn’t listening)

The Dean isn’t going to give you another chance! Do you hear me? You’ll be kicked out of school.

MATT

So what? I can’t concentrate anyway. I sit in class and cry. I sit in here and cry. I keep thinking that I should have been paying more attention to her. I should have noticed she wasn’t feeling right.

JERID

That’s not fair. It was finals week and you couldn’t have known she had been fainting until she told you.

MATT

No, Jerid, what’s not fair is that my fiancĂ© to die at the age of 19.

JERID

Look, it’s been a few months now. We are almost done with this year of school and then we can transfer somewhere else. Somewhere with less pain. Somewhere-

( JERID notices that MATT is not paying

attention. NATALIE enters stage left and

waves at MATT. MATT stares back,

shocked. JERID looks past MATT and then

at him. He sits and watches MATT. MATT

walks over to NATALIE.

MATT

(surprised)

You’re here?

NATALIE

You can see me? But how?

MATT

(awestruck)

Yeah, I can see you. I thought you died. I mean, we had a funeral.

NATALIE

(looks at the floor)

I did. But we promised each we wouldn’t leave. Matt, I miss you.

MATT

You miss me? But you’re here.

(JERID stands and walks over to MATT.

JERID turns MATT around so he’s facing

him. NATALIE starts to back offstage. )

NATALIE

I’m still with you, Matt. And Jerid. I love you both.

(NATALIE backs completely off stage.)

JERID

She’s not there, man.

MATT

(not comprehending and then frantic)

Yes she is I just saw her.

( MATT turns around to point at NATALIE

and she is gone. He quickly turns back

towards JERID. Still frantic. )

She was just there. I was talking to her.

JERID

(in a caring voice)

Matt, she died. She’s not coming back.

JERID (cont.)

( MATT is just staring at JERID.)

Are you understanding me. She’s gone. Come on, let’s go sit down.

MATT

(explodes)

You just don’t get it do you? This isn’t some flash in my past that I can just shake off me like a cold. I can’t even eat breakfast without thinking of her. I can’t even-

(a moment of indecision)

Sometimes, Jerid, I’ll be sitting somewhere, having a decent enough time and the slightest thing, the smallest little insignificant detail will bring her back, only…only it won’t bring her back. I know it’s been months. Time goes so slow now, I can’t help but notice. But, I can’t let her go. Why should I? She meant the world to me. I loved her so much. I still do. And now, I just saw her. I thought she was important to you. I thought you knew what she meant to me.

JERID

(a little upset)

Don’t you think I saw that? Don’t you think I know what she meant to you? I saw your face when you were with her. I was there, man. She’s the only sister I’ll ever have. Her death completely tore me up inside. But, my life isn’t over. And neither is yours. But I feel weak at times. I just have to keep reminding myself that it’s her life that’s over, not mine. I’ll miss her forever but-

MATT

(interrupting)

I know what you’re saying. I know you loved her too. I just wish…

(pause)

I wish I could have said goodbye. Why don’t I ever get to say goodbye?

(Lights fade on the two men thinking.)

END OF ACT I

ACT II

( MATT is sitting up in a bed with the

footboard facing the audience. There

should be other props to represent a

bedroom of a senior in college. After

a few seconds, JERID enters from stage

left. )

JERID

Hey Matt.

MATT

What?

JERID

You busy tonight?

MATT

(not even looking up from his book. sarcastic)

Let me check my schedule.

JERID

Seriously, we got invited to a party tonight.

MATT

Did WE get invited or did you get invited with guest?

JERID

We got invited. It’s freshmen type party being thrown by sophomores. Either way none of them were around when you-

(pauses)

Well, you know. They heard about you, of course. They think all sounds crazy but none of them care.

MATT

Damn it! Do you tell people that I am not crazy? Do you tell them that I am fine. That was three years ago. I made, a mistake. Why can’t people just forget it?

JERID

It’s not like you streaked the campus here. You blocked off the park and threatened your own life if anyone came in. You have to admit, Natalie dying hit you harder than the average bear.

(MATT sets down his book and stands.)

MATT

That’s just it. I did admit it. I went through treatment and I’m still seeing a psychiatrist. But I am better. Natalie is dead, buried, and gone. And, I still love her. But, I’m not a threat to myself or anyone else over her.

JERID

(smiles)

I know all this. Come out with me tonight and show them you’re fine. Can you handle the occasional question about it? Hell, you might even find a date or at least a little nookie. I, friggin better, or I may have to hijack a park.

MATT

(smiles)

Oh, you think that’s funny?

JERID

Just get ready. We leave in an hour. Well, maybe two. Don’t want to be the old squares who show up early.

(JERID exits left. Lights fade. MATT

walks down stage center to a spotlight.)

MATT

Let me explain that a little further. When Natalie died, I didn’t really handle it well. And by not handling it

(air quotes)

well, I mean I went batshit crazy. It was just before the summer break and I went into that park, where she died, for a walk. Well, and to grieve. Well, I saw Natalie again. And I don’t care what any shrink says, I saw her. I talked to her. She said she was scared they were going to take her way. I kept asking her who “they” were. She didn’t answer and again,

MATT (cont.)

(points at himself)

batshit crazy. I thought “they” were coming to get her through the gates of the park. So I blocked it off with every downed branch I could find. I wouldn’t let anyone in. I kept them at bay by holding my pocket knife to my throat. Well, these police are good and they snuck up on me and wrestled me to the ground. I got locked up but in treatment, I calmed down fairly quickly. They brought me my school work and I kept up. Now, years later, I haven’t shaken that rep. I haven’t dated anyone. This is because I am the campus psycho. I really hate it and I am glad that I am out of here, after this year.

(MATT exits stage right. Spot fades.

Lights come up on about 12 people standing

and/or sitting around at a party. All are

drinking. There has to be more women

then men. LAURA should be standing stage

right. MATT is sitting on the floor stage

left. JERID crosses from stage right to

MATT.)

JERID

Oh there you are. Hey you having fun?

MATT

That depends, do you considering counting the bubbles in your beer, fun?

JERID

Have you even tried to talk to people?

MATT

I probably haven’t put forth a valiant effort, no.

JERID

Yeah, no shit. It’s a wonder that girl over that has bothered to stare at you for the last half hour.

( MATT stands up and looks at JERID.

JERID points at LAURA.)

MATT

What girl? Where?

MATT (cont)

( MATT looks over his shoulder and sees

LAURA looking at him. She smiles and

takes a drink without removing her eyes

from MATT.)

Holy crap, she is staring.

JERID

You see? No get the hell away from me, I am still trying to find my piece.

(JERID looks offstage left.)

Ooh, look at him. See ya.

(JERID exits offstage. MATT check his

clothes to make sure they are straight. Then

he walks over to LAURA.)

MATT

Um, hello.

LAURA

Hi, yourself.

MATT

So, you’re mouth might have been drinking but your eyes told me to come over here. But now I am here and I really don’t know what to say.

LAURA

Say that it’s too hot and crowded in here and you want to go out on the deck.

MATT

Wouldn’t that be redundant now?

LAURA

Wow, you are bad at flirting. Just come on.

(LAURA grabs MATTS hand and leads him

offstage right. Lights fade. Everyone leaves

the stage and MATT and LAURA come

down stage center and sit on the edge in a

a spotlight. Stage left bring out a small table

and chairs to look like a restaurant.)

MATT

So, uh, what’s your name?

LAURA

Heaven.

MATT

Heaven? Really?

LAURA

(laughs)

No, it’s Laura. And you are Matthew W. Potransky.

(MATT looks at LAURA, stunned at what

she knows.)

MATT

You know my name? There is one reason that people know my name around here and that conversation is always awkward.

LAURA

(smiles)

What? That you went batshit crazy because your fiancé suddenly died.

(MATT looks at the audience in

amazement.)

MATT

Well, there’s that. You’re still hear so either you’ve done the same thing or you don’t believe it happened.

LAURA

Sorry, you’re actually wrong on both things. I’ve never done it and I saw it happen.

(MATT looks down, embarrassed.)

MATT

Hmmm. Well, yeah, happy times.

(smiles sheepishly)

LAURA

Go ahead and ask.

MATT

Ask what?

LAURA

Ask me why I am sitting here with you. Knowing what I know. Isn’t that what you downtrodden types wonder?

MATT

(laughs)


Downtrodden types? Good God, lady I’m over it now.

LAURA

Well, whatever, the reason is I need an ending to my story. You see, that day actually inspired a novel in me.

MATT

Really? A novel, about me? But you know nothing about me, except what happened that day.

LAURA

Yes, Matthew-

MATT

(interrupting)

Matt.

LAURA

Right. Well, it’s not about you per se. It’s more I am fictionalizing the events before and after the day the park. But what makes it good is the mix of fiction and non-fiction. But I actually want to get some details because I am having details linking the story together.

MATT

Wait a minute. So you don’t think I’m cute or something else fun like that?

LAURA

First, of all, I didn’t say that. The second thing is, the info that I want will require me spending time with you. So, this right here was to see if I could see myself spending time with you. Especially considering that I will pay you for your time. In return, I don’t have to put your name on it and I don’t have to share royalties.

(MATT stands and starts pacing.)

MATT

How in the hell did I end up in a business negotiation. You’re eyes sure make you slippery Lydia.

LAURA

(interrupting)

Laura.

MATT

Right, Laura. So, let me get this right. You will pay me for my time and my story. In return you don’t use my name and I can claim no rights to my own story.

LAURA

Right.

MATT

No and here’s why. You’re gorgeous. There is no way I can spend a bunch of time with you and not want more. So I’ll give you an interview once and you pay me or you go out to dinner with me and I pay. I can tell you I talk more when I am relaxed and interviews, well…they make me anxious.

(LAURA stands and looks MATT in the

and stares for a second. Then she puts out

her hand to shake his.)

LAURA

You got a deal.

(MATT smiles and shakes her hand.

LAURA turns and starts to walk off stage

right. MATT looks confused. )

MATT

Wait. Which one did we agree on?

(LAURA turns and comes back and pulls

a card out of her purse.)

LAURA

Call me because I am free next Saturday.

(LAURA turns and walks offstage. Lights

fade. Lights come up on MATT and

LAURA sitting at the restaurant table.

There is quiet piano music in the

background. LAURA is laughing.)

LAURA

You’re from New Hampshire? I didn’t think anyone lived there.

MATT

Not from there, I guess. But I lived there for high school. I’m actually from Minnesota. And yes, people live there.

LAURA

(still smiling)

Hmm, what else? What is your major?

MATT

I give you a free pass to laugh here. I’m a psychology major.

( LAURA is drink when he says that and she

almost spits out her water on him. She

swallows and laughs.)

LAURA

Wow. What if the old you could meet the new you?

MATT

He’d probably hate me for not brooding over Natalie anymore.

(LAURA leans forward. No longer

laughing.)

LAURA

Oh, Natalie is her name. That’s beautiful.

MATT

Laura, I would be lying if I didn’t say this was awkward.

LAURA

(serious now)

I know. I’m sorry. It was more of a reaction than a conscious thought. I love her name, it’s a shame I can’t use it.

( MATT looks to be introspective. He is

not looking at LAURA.)

MATT

Right. A shame.

LAURA

I’m sorry. I do that. I say whatever is on my head. Look, we don’t have to talk about her. In fact, I don’t want to. This is suppose to be a date, right?

MATT

(pause)

You’re just saying that so you don’t have to pay.

(smiles)

Seriously, Laura, I am fine. But, I was really hoping this was a date and somehow, talking about my dead fiancé seems inappropriate.

LAURA

You’re right. So tell me about New Hampshire.

(Lights fade. Clear table and chairs and

set park bench, center stage. MATT comes

down stage center into a spotlight.)

MATT

So, Laura and I, we dated. It always ended at the doorway though. I couldn’t bring myself to go into her place. I know she was starting to notice that the gentlemen tact, was actually just a stall. She called me and sounded concerned and said she wanted to meet me in the park where-

(pause)

well, where Natalie died. If I said no, it would drove a huge spike between us. So I decided to face this place for the first time in three and half years.

(Spot fades. Lights come up on MATT

sitting on the park bench.)

This place certainly stirs up a weird feeling. You can hold it together, Matt. I know you can.

This is no time to live in the past.

(The stage crew should be scattered in

different places back stage. They should

all start whispering “Matthew” loudly, at

different intervals.)

What? Who is that? Jesus, am I really hearing that?

(He stands and looks at the park bench

and behind it.)

Who is saying my name?

NATALIE

(not seen, only heard)

I can’t believe you, Matt. I love you. I never let you go.

MATT

Holy shit, it’s Natalie. What are you doing here? Let me see you.

(MATT starts pacing all around. He walks

stage right and then stage left. As he is

walking stage left a spotlight appears and

NATALIE is standing in it. MATT turns

around and freezes.)

NATALIE

Matt, you said you’d be mine forever. Who is she, Matt? Who is she?

(The stage crew starts repeating “Who is

she” at different intervals. MATT closes his his eyes.)

MATT

Ahhhh, I can’t tell you now. I’m not sure, ok?

(NATALIE backs out of the spotlight

off stage. LAURA walks up behind

MATT. )

LAURA

Matt? What aren’t you sure you about? Are you ok?

(MATT walks away from her a couple

steps.)

MATT

Yes. I am fine. Let’s just say this was probably a bad idea to meet you here.

(LAURA lowers her head.)

LAURA

I thought it a bit strange. But, I just figured you thought you had to prove something. Lucky for you, I don’t need you too. You would have just failed miserably at that.

MATT

Yeah, ok. Can we…can we just go somewhere else?

LAURA

(sarcastically)

No, please can we stay here in the park of joy.

(MATT goes over to LAURA and puts his

arms around her.)

MATT

Sarcasm? Really? Come on, let’s go.

(MATT and LAURA exit stage left. Lights

fade. Take out park bench and bring out a

couch and a recliner, stage right, to represent

JERID and MATT’s apartment. Lights

come up and MATT is on the couch, staring

off and JERID is in the chair.)

JERID

Is something bothering you?

(MATT turns and looks at JERID but

doesn’t speak right away.)

MATT

Please don’t think I’m crazy, but I went to the park today.

JERID

You mean, THE park? Wow. My man is making strides.

MATT

Jerid, listen to me. I swear to God I saw Natalie. She spoke to me. She was hurt that I was with Laura.

(JERID leans forward and looks at MATT.)

JERID

Well, you don’t have the crazy eyes going on? Matt, are you slipping?

MATT

I have never back down that I spoke to her after she died. Even to my shrink. I know that was real. Now I see her again. She basically accused me of cheating her.

JERID

First of all, did you tell anyone?

MATT

No.

JERID

Good. Because you are just about done her and the school won’t let that kind of thing go, a second time. Matt, I will ask you this once. Are you sure?

MATT

Yes, I am sure. Why is she doing this? She’s never talked to you. You knew her better than I did. Hell, you can’t even see her. I don’t know what to think. I thought I was cured. Now, I’m not even sure I had an ailment.

JERID

Well, stay away from that park. If you see her again, just explain to her-

(shakes his head)

Wait a minute, we are talking about someone who died almost four years ago. This is crazy.

MATT

Look, I don’t know what this was, but you’re the only person that never thought I was actually crazy. Please don’t change now. I am going out for a bit.

JERID

Ok. We’ll talk later. Have a good night.

(Lights fade. Stage left there should be a

a queen size bed to represent LAURA’s

room. MATT and LAURA are both sitting

on the bed, looking at a photo album.)

MATT

That’s you? Oh my God, you were cute when you were little.

LAURA

And now?

MATT

(smiles)

Well, I guess you still pass for cute.

(looks back at the pictures)

And look at the pigtails.

LAURA

Yeah, my parents had this terrible need to change my hair daily. Now my hair is just fried from all the crap they did.

MATT

(looks at her hair)

I think your hair looks great.

LAURA

You don’t have to flatter me. I am already enamored by you.

MATT

(stands)

No, I’m serious, if it wasn’t for the hair, I don’t think I’d like you at all.

LAURA

(sarcastically)

Wow. I didn’t know love could run so deep.

MATT

Don’t beat yourself up over it. There’s tons of shit you don’t know.

(LAURA stands and pushes MATT down

on to the bed. They begin kissing

passionately. The lights fade and then

come back up. Both are under the covers.

MATT is in his boxers. LAURA is in

a night shirt. MATT is just waking up

and LAURA is still sleeping. MATT stands

puts on his pants and his shirt. Grabs his

shoes and socks and starts to walk stage

right. He stops turns around and goes back

and kisses LAURA on the forehead. Then

he walks out stage right. Lights fade and

MATT comes down into the spotlight.

Bring out a bed center stage with JERID

sleeping in it.

Well, I guess I realized that this wasn’t going to be an interview. She was fantastic. I never honestly thought I would get to feel anything for a girl again. But she was…well, fantastic. However, I couldn’t shake the feeling that Natalie watched the whole thing. That she was all set to come out of the closet. Wait, that doesn’t sound right. Oh hell, you know what I mean. I could feel my mind starting to compete with itself. I shouldn’t have just left Laura though. I think I did it because if Natalie would have appeared, there, I would have…

(pauses)

Let’s just say I would have been at a loss for words.

(Spotlight fades. Lights come up on JERID sleeping in his bed. MATT enters

from stage left. )

MATT (cont.)

Jerid, I am a bleeping idiot.

JERID

Matt, come on, I’m sleeping.

(MATT pulls off the covers)

MATT

I don’t care about that. I am having a major issue here and you damn well, that I am not adequately equipped to handle those.

JERID

Oh, so now were playing “state the obvious” at

(looks at his watch)

7:30 in the morning.

MATT

I slept with her.

JERID

Was it bad?

MATT

No.

JERID

Did she tie you up?

MATT

No.

JERID

Is she pregnant?

MATT

Too soon to know for sure.

JERID

Good. I’m going back to sleep.

(JERID pulls the covers back up and rolls

away from MATT)

MATT

Hey, shithead, I left this morning without saying goodbye. I think inside I was freaking out a little bit.

JERID

(rolls back over. eyes still shut)

Freaking out over what?

MATT

I really think I am starting to love her.

JERID

(sarcastically)

I am sure she we’ll feel that love when she wakes up and you’re gone.

MATT

I am still a little scared that I saw Natalie the other day. I know you don’t fully believe that I did. But, if it was her and she finds out that I love another woman. Well, you know the piss and vinegar that woman had when she was alive.

JERID

Come on, Matt. I’ve moved on from her death and you seem to not want to. No matter what gifts life gives you. If you are such a glutton for punishment there is a hammer over there. Just grab it start beating yourself. Either way, I need my rest.

MATT

Look, I’m not really scared of her. I am more scared of her timing. I mean, what if I see her while I’m having sex. Do you really think that will end well?

JERID

Here’s what you do. And I can’t believe I am saying this. Go back to the park and call her out. Try not to let anyone see you. If and when she comes out, ask her to let you move on. Ask her to move on. And ask her if her mom has my suede hat.

MATT

You’re right. At least I could try it. But look, and on this I am serious. I am going to be there in one hour. I want you to show up in about an hour and half. If you see me start to go batshit crazy. I want you to smack me in the face.

JERID

Well, I definitely wouldn’t miss that for the world. All right fine, if you think you can have this last stand and be done with it. I will go to. But you go nutso and I will only be able to visit the home on some weekends. I got a real job now.

MATT

Yeah, whatever. Just be there.

(MATT exits stage left. Remove bed and

put the park bench center stage. Lights

come up and MATT is sitting on it.)

(calling out)

Natalie? I need to talk to you.

(MATT waits for a response. He starts to

pace.)

Look, Natalie. You have a place in my heart but I have found someone else. I need you to…

(pauses)

well, leave me alone. Do you understand?

(waits for an answer)

Wouldn’t you know it. Now she doesn’t show.

MATT (cont.)

(MATT is getting irate. MATT starts to

pace faster. He stops. He looks up at the

sky.)

Natalie! I can’t do this anymore! I won’t feel guilty about being with someone else. Damn it! It’s not fair.

(LAURA enters stage right. MATT doesn’t

see her.)

It’s not right-

LAURA

(interrupting)

Matt?

(MATT is startled)

Who are you yelling at?

MATT

Laura? What are you doing here?

LAURA

I got a call from Jerid. He called me from your cell phone. He said I should meet you here.

(MATT checks his pockets for his cell

phone. It’s not there.)

MATT

Damn.

LAURA

Look Matt, I definitely want some answers. This park makes you crazy and now your friend tells me to meet you both here. You’re yelling at nothing. You left me alone this morning. What the hell, is going on?

(MATT lowers his head. Then he sits down

on the ground.)

MATT

Laura, I am sorry about this morning. If you do forgive me, that will never happen again. As to why I am here. I don’t think you would understand.

LAURA

Don’t think I would understand? How, the hell, do you know what I’d-

MATT

(interrupting)

I love you. And this is where I was the last time I said those words to anyone.

(LAURA a little shocked, sits down on the

park bench.)

I don’t care if you believe it all but I want you to listen to me. I did see Natalie back when I went crazy and I did see her when we were here the other day. She came down on me for being with you.

LAURA

(a little shocked)

You mean, she’s a ghost or something?

(MATT sits down next to her.)

MATT

Yes…well, no. She’s not really a ghost. I mean, she looks normal to me but no one else can see her. That is why this whole thing drove me right out of my mind. I need you to believe me.

LAURA

Matt, I believe you. At least, as much as I can. But that doesn’t explain why you keep coming back here.

MATT

I wanted to tell her I was moving on without her. I wanted to tell her that I really loved you and that I am done mourning.

MATT (cont.)

(pause)

But she, never showed up.

LAURA

Whew, I can honestly say this is a first. Look at me.

(MATT looks into her eyes)

I love you too. Last night made me sure of that and then you left.

(Grabs MATT under his chin like a mom)

That felt like shit. Don’t ever do it again. Got it?

(MATT nods. LAURA kisses him.)

Now, I am very creeped out by this place and I want to go home. Will you please take me out of here.

MATT

Sure.

(They stand and walk off stage left. A

spotlight come up on NATALIE standing

upstage right. She is crying. She walks

down stage and the spotlight follows her.)

NATALIE

God? Are you listening? Why am I still here? Why do I have to watch this? You killed me. The least you could do is take me away from here.

(pauses)

What do I do? I wish I could talk to Jerid.

(Lights fade. NATALIE exits. Clear park

bench and bring out couch and chair for

MATT and JERID’s living room. Lights

come up on them talking.)

JERID

Did you see her?

MATT

Which her?

JERID

Natalie? That’s why you went to the park.

MATT

Oh, I thought you meant Laura since you called her and told her to go there. Thanks for that.

JERID

What can I say? I like to interfere.

MATT

I did see Laura. I did not see Natalie. But I wish I could, just one more time. I just think I could give us both some closure.

JERID

Yeah, you see, I am still working off the theory that she’s dead. I don’t get anymore closure than that.

MATT

Look, Laura wanted to leave there and I didn’t see her. Will you go there with me so you can see what I go through? I am hoping that you’ll finally see her so you can not wonder about me anymore.

JERID

Look, I will go but I’m always going to wonder about you.

MATT

Awesome, I have a meeting tomorrow and then I will meet you down there at 1.

(Lights fade. Remove couch and chair.

bring out park bench. Lights come up

JERID enters from stage right.

JERID

Ok. I am here. What time is it?

(looks at watch)

12:45, I guess I am early.

(JERID walks around and looks around)

So this is the place where she come out.

(JERID sits down on the bench)

Hey Natalie! Natalie, why don’t you come talk to me?

(pause)

Come on Nat, it’s Jerid. Why does Matt get all the face time?

(he laughs)

(NATALIE speaks from offstage)

NATALIE

Jerid?

(JERID just about falls off the bench)

JERID

Who’s that? Who’s here?

NATALIE

Jerid? You can hear me? It’s Natalie.

JERID

(a little on edge)

Natalie? Oh my God, he was right. This can’t be happening. Where are you, Sweetie. Show yourself.

JERID (cont.)

(NATALIE walks out from stage left.

JERID sees her and his eyes grow wide

with fear.)

Oh my God, it is you.

(NATALIE stops just before she gets to the

bench and looks at JERID.)

NATALIE

(smiles)


You should know that Matt wouldn’t lie to you.

JERID

Matt? Oh yes. Natalie you gotta know that he’s already rode the roller coaster for you darling. I think you are the best woman who ever lived but Laura is a good second. You gotta let Matt move on.

NATALIE

Jerid, honestly, I want to. I don’t even know why I am still here. I have been in this park pretty much since I died. I kept hoping that Matt was well and that he moved away. The last thing I wanted was to be able to see him with another woman. I am having a hard time letting him go.

JERID

I don’t know anything about the afterlife or anything, but I do know this. Matt will always love you. I will always love you. We won’t forget you. We haven’t burned your pictures. Sweetie, you’re my sister. And I am thankful, beyond belief that I get this chance to say goodbye. But once I do, I need you to move on.

(MATT enters stage right. He cannot

see NATALIE.)

MATT

Jerid, who are you talking too?

JERID

What do you mean? I am talking to Natalie. Can’t you see her? I am sorry I doubted you, my man.

MATT

You can see her? I seriously can’t.

JERID

Don’t mess with me. She right next to me. Natalie say something to him.

NATALIE

Matt, I am here.

MATT

I don’t see her. I don’t hear her. Is she really right there?

JERID

Hey Nat, how come he can’t see you anymore?

NATALIE

He can’t hear me either. Damn, I wanted to talk to him.

(MATT notices JERID is listening to

NATALIE.)

MATT

What is she saying?

JERID

She is bummed because she wanted to talk to you.

MATT

Well, I guess we’ll have to talk through you. Jerid Johnson, translator for the dead.

JERID

She’s says that’s not funny. And I concur.

(NATALIE stares at MATT with sadness in

her eyes.)

NATALIE

Tell Matt, that I will always love him.

JERID

She says she loves you and she will always love you.

MATT

Tell her-

JERID

(interrupting)

She can hear you.

MATT

(not really sure where to look)

Oh, well, Natalie, I love you too and a part of me is yours forever. I just have to move on now. I can’t be with you, do you understand?

NATALIE

Tell him, that I am letting him go. I will not bother him anymore. And I give my blessing to him and Laura.

JERID

Oh, Sweetie, I am sure it’s not a bother.

NATALIE

Jerid. Just tell him.

JERID

She says that she is letting you go. She won’t bother you anymore. She also says that you and Laura have her blessing.

MATT

Thank you, Natalie. That makes me feel so much better. I promise, I won’t forget you. I will visit your gra- er…you every time I am home. Anyway, Jerid and I will be there soon enough.

(NATALIE starts to cry.)

NATALIE

Right then. Not too soon. I need you two to conquer this world. Jerid, I love you like a brother. I will never forget all that you meant to me. All that you gave to me. Thank you.

JERID

I love you too. Just promise you won’t come haunt me if I ever find that special someone.

(MATT and NATALIE both chuckle)

NATALIE

I promise. And now Jerid, tell Matt that I will be with him forever. Protecting him and guiding him. Oh God! That sounds cheesy. Just tell him that I will always be his Natalie. I will always be his friend.

JERID

She said-

MATT

(interrupting. smiles)

I know what she said.

JERID

(confused)

You can hear her now?

MATT

No. I just know her. I will always be your friend to Natalie.

NATALIE

Well, that’s it then. Goodbye Jerid. Goodbye Matt. I love you both.

JERID

(starts tearing up)

Goodbye, Natalie.

MATT

How about I say, see ya later, instead?

NATALIE

Tell him yes, I will see you both later.

JERID

She’s fine with that. I just hope it’s not too soon, Nat.

(NATALIE smiles and walks offstage)

MATT

Well, should we go? Man, I feel good!

JERID

(stands)

Sure. Hey there was a few other things she said that you didn’t hear.

MATT

Like what?

JERID

She said you had a huge nose.

MATT

Oh yeah?

JERID

Yep. She also said you kind of smelled funny. I personally think you smell fabulous so I don’t really know what that was about.

MATT

She said that huh?

JERID

Why would I lie?

(MATT and JERID exit stage right. Lights

fade. Curtain.

The End


By Antony V. Plocido

copywrite: 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment